On this day, 1941, the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked U.S. Army and Marine air forces at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Those attacks led to a declaration of war against Japan by the United States.
Pearl Harbor Interesting Facts:
- There were over 2403 casualties, and 1282 people were wounded.
- The last part of the decoded Japanese message stated that U.S. relations were to be severed.
- 18 U.S ships were hit.
- The Base’s fuel tanks were targeted by not hit.
- Over 180 aircraft were destroyed.
- The attack occurred on a Sunday morning while many people were still sleeping.
- 6 Japanese planes failed to launch.
Also On This Day:
- Jesse James committed his first confirmed bank robbery. It occurred in the Gallatin, Missouri.
- Instant reply is used for the first time during the Army-Navy game.
- The first execution by lethal injection in the United States took place in Texas.
- Happy Birthday: Terrell Owens – “Git your popcorn ready!”
- National Cotton Candy Day