You survived the holidays! Now it’s okay to rest. Celebrate “Festival of Sleep Day” by catching up on sleep, finding time for a nap, or just cozying up in your favorite spot for a few hours.
- National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day
- Drinking Straw Day
- (1977) Apple Computer is incorporated.
- The March of Dimes is established by Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt (1938).
- U.S. Congress proceedings are first televised (1947).
- The U.S. severs diplomatic relations with Cuba (1961).
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts Aretha Franklin, the first female inductee (1987).
- Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine – 407 years before the Wright Brothers first successful piloted, powered, flight (1946).
- General George Washington defeated British General Cornwallis in the Battle of Princeton.
- The last daily Peanuts strip by Charles Schulz (2000) runs in 2,600 newspapers.
Mel Gibson (55)
Jack Ruby (1911-1967) – Shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald (John F. Kennedy assassination)