The average American consumes over 13 gallons of popcorn each year. National Popcorn Day is an excuse for you to indulge in one of America’s favorite past times. Whether you’re at the movies, an arena, the fair, or just sitting on your couch, treat yourself to some popcorn served up just the way you like it.
Also On This Day:
- National Brew a Potion Day – Make sure nobody slips anything in your drink!
- Tin Can Day – on this day in 1810, a patent was issued for the tin can. Happy Birthday Tin Can!
- The first overhead electric lighting system, courtesy of Thomas Edison, became operational in Roselle, NJ (1883).
- The world’s first “briefs” are sold by Coopers, Inc. (1935).
- The Federal government relinquished control over U.S. railroads (1944).
- President Dwight Eisenhower became the first to film a presidential news conference for television (1955).
- Apple Lisa is announced – the first commercial computer with a graphical interface and mouse (1983).
- President Bill Clinton admitted to making false statements under oath about Monica Lewinsky (2001).
- NASA launched New Horizons first probe for Pluto (2006).
Shawn Johnson (19)
Jodie Sweetin (29) a.k.a. Stephanie Tanner, Full House
Paula Dean (64)
Dolly Parton (65)
Robert Palmer (1949-2003)
Guy Madison (1922-1996) a.k.a Wild Bill Hickok
Janis Joplin (1943-1970)
William Keen (1837-1932) – 1st American brain surgeon, and we just had the first open-heart surgeon yesterday!
Gen. Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)
Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849)
James Watt (1736-1819) – Invented the steam engine
RIP Scott “Bam Bam” Bigelow (1961-2007) – WWE star
Courtesy of Robert Palmer, we’ll leave you with a song stuck in your head for the day. The lights are on…but you’re not home!