We mixed things up on your a bit. True “On This Day” historians would expect us to highlight National Hugging Day today. Would that be any fun? Of course not! It would be very “granola”, which is fitting since it also happens to be National Granola Bar Day. International Fetish Day originated from National Fetish Day in the UK. The motto “Perverts wear purple” was adopted to symbolize the holiday. However, many participants in this holiday are beginning to contest the slogan because of the negative connotation associated with the term “pervert”. The holiday was created to increase media coverage and oppose a UK law that went into effect banning “extreme pornography”. What ever happened to good, wholesome pornography? What is this World coming to!
- National Hugging Day
- National Granola Bar Day
- National New England Clam Chowder Day – solves that debate!
- Squirrel Appreciation Day – tree rats have their own day?
- The first Monte Carlo Rally took place (1911)
- The first Kiwanis club was founded in Detroit, MI (1915)
- The first nuclear-powered submarine was launched by Mamie Eisenhower (1954)
- The first commercial flight of the super-fast Concorde (1976)
- In one of the largest drug busts in U.S. history, the Coast Guard intercepted a ship carrying 4,300 kilos of cocaine, valued at nearly $135 million dollars. (Editor’s Note: Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and the cast of Jersey Shore were not present.) (1999)
- The U.S. Census Bureau announced that Hispanics surpassed Blacks as the largest minority group in the country
Emma Lee Bunton (35) a.k.a “Baby Spice”
Eric Holder (60) U.S. Attorney General
Billy Ocean (61) Caribbean Queen
Placido Domingo (69)
Jack Nicklaus (70)
Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson (1824-1863)
Christian Dior (1905-1957)
Jam Master Jay, Run DMC (1965-2002)
And now, courtesy of Billy Ocean, a song to get stuck in your head for the day!