We’re not really sure why there is a holiday dedicated to spouses, especially when you’re stuck with them every day. Shouldn’t there be “Take a Break from Your Spouse Day”? Nonetheless, today is Spouses Day. Do yourself a favor today and try not to end up sleeping on the couch. Consider today a warm up for Valentine’s Day. We suggest having dinner ready for your spouse when he/she gets home – and by “prepare” we obviously mean order take out and put it on a plate to pass-off as your own!
Today’s Other Holidays:
- National Peanut Brittle Day
- Cockroach Race Day – they do some weird things over there in Australia!
- Lotus 1-2-3 Day – its reign as software king began in January 1983 and was short-lived, but Lotus 1-2-3 paved the way for future software developers.
- Toad Hollow Day of Encouragement
- Vicente Yanez Pinzon became the 1st European to set foot in Brazil (1500).
- Congress passed an act requiring a library within the U.S. Capitol (1802).
- Tennessee enacts the first prohibition law in the U.S. (1838).
- India declared itself a republic (1950).
- Danny Heater set a basketball world record by scoring 135 points in a West Virginia high school game (1960).
- Hindi became the official language of India (1965).
- Octomom gave birth to octuplets (2009).
Birthdays & Remembrances:
Wayne Gretzky (50) – The Great One
Ellen DeGeneres (53)
Eddie Van Halen (56)
Gene Siskel (65) – Two thumbs up!
Frank Costello (1891-1973) – The Prime Minister of the Underworld
RIP Lucky Luciano (1897-1962) – “The Boss” of New York before The Boss