Happy New Year! No, we’re not over a month late nor are we still celebrating a holiday that was over a month ago. Today is the Chinese New Year! According to the Chinese calendar the year is 4708 and this year is the year of the rabbit. Overseas the holiday is celebrated as Spring Festival. The celebration is the most notable in China. In fact, the Chinese government stipulates that workers have 7 days off for the celebration. We say that the U.S. should adopt a similar policy. After all, it takes about a week to recover from the hangover after New Year’s Eve!
- The Day the Music Died – see Birthdays & Remembrances
- Four Chaplains Day – honoring 4 Army chaplains who sacrificed their lives for their peers during the sinking of the USAT Dorchester. See Birthdays & Remembrances
- National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day – looks like we have another holiday up for debate!
- National Cordova Ice Worm Day – head up to Cordova, Alaska, for this celebration. You may even win the Longest Beard Competition!
- In the Netherlands, Tulip Mania collapsed when the demand for bulb contracts dropped dramatically (1637)
- Massachusetts issued the 1st paper money in America (1690)
- The 15th Amendment was ratified to guarantee voting rights regardless of race (1870)
- The 16th Amendment was ratified to allow the Federal Government to impose and collect income tax (1913)
- The lowest temperature in N. America was recorded in Snag, Yukon: -83 degrees (1947)
- UCLA Medical Center announced the 1st successful embryo transfer from 1 woman to another resulting in a live birth (1984)
- Eileen Collins became the 1st female astronaut to pilot the Space Shuttle (1995)
- Karla Faye Tucker was executed in Texas. She was the first woman executed in the U.S. since 1984 (1998)
- Eric Holder became the first African American sworn in as Attorney General of the United States (2009)
Sean Kingston (21)
Isla Fisher (35) – Confessions of a Shopaholic
Morgan Fairchild (61) – all natural, no?
RIP Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924)
RIP Norman Rockwell (1894-1978) – how would we decorate doctor’s offices without you?!
RIP Pretty Boy Floyd (1904-1934) – gangster and bank robber
RIP The Four Chaplains:
- Rabbi Alexander Goode (1911-1943)
- Rev. George L. Fox (1900-1943)
- Rev. Clark V. Poling (1910-1943)
- Father John P. Washington (1908-1943)
RIP The Day the Music Died crew:
- Buddy Holly (1936-1959)
- Roger Peterson (1937-1959)
- Ritchie Valens (1941-1959)
- J.P. Richardson, a.k.a “The Big Bopper” (1930-1959)