The first Friday in February is Bubble Gum Day! Pull that piece off the bottom of the desk, from behind your ear or off the bed post. Today is the one day each year that you have an excuse to blow bubbles in class or make obnoxious popping noises when people are talking to you. Many schools celebrate Bubble Gum Day by allowing students to chew gum in class as long as they make a $0.50 donation to a charity predetermined by the school. Wouldn’t you love to have Willy Wonka’s 3-course meal gum today? Tomato soup…roast beef and a baked potato…blue pie and cream!
- Wear Red Day – we mentioned this a few weeks ago. Wear red to show your support for the fight against women’s heart disease.
- World Cancer Day – Cancer is the leading cause of death around the world. Support the fight against cancer!
- USO Day – commemorates the formation of the United Service Organization (1941)
- Rabi’I – the 3rd month on the Islamic calendar
- Quacker Day – a celebration of Quackers on QVC
- National Stuffed Mushroom Day
- Liberace Day – see Birthdays & Remembrances
- National Create a Vacuum Day – this celebration may leave you with a void inside…haha!
- National Homemade Soup Day
- George Washington was unanimously elected as the 1st U.S. President by the Electoral College (1789)
- Ohio authorized construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal as well as the Miami & Erie Canal (1825)
- Delegates from 6 Southern states met and formed the Confederate States of America (1861)
- A civil jury found O.J. Simpson responsible for the deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman (1997)
- Cancer Research UK was founded as the World’s largest independent cancer research charity (2002)
- Massachusetts legalized gay marriage (2004)
- Mark Zuckerberg founded Facebook (2004)
Birthdays & Remembrances:
Brandon “Bug” Hall (26) a.k.a Alf Alfa from Little Rascals – “Who’s your favorite little rascal? Is it Alf Alfa? Or is it Spanky?
Cam’ron (35) – Hey Ma!
Gavin DeGraw (36)
Oscar De La Hoya (38)
Clint Black (49) – great cover of Desperado!
Lawrence Taylor (52) – wonder who throws a crazy birthday party: Lawrence Taylor or Charlie Sheen? We may have another DCP Debates question on our hands!
Alice Cooper (63)
Dan Quayle (64)
Rosa Parks (1913-2005)
Charles Lindbergh (1902-1974)
Johann Ludwig Bach (1677-1731)
RIP Liberace (1919-1987)