The nonprofit group Hey UGLY designated the 2nd Wednesday of February as National Stop Bullying Day. Hey UGLY stands for Uniquely Gifted Lovable You. The aim of the group is to encourage schools to incorporate more Stop Bullying activities. Over 850,000 teenagers stay home from school at least 1 day per month out of fear of bullying. Several national news headlines brought attention to the Stop Bullying campaign. Many prominent celebrities have spoken out on the matter, including Taylor Swift, Mark Wahlberg, and Jay-Z.
- Toothache Day – contrary to its name, the holiday is intended to promote dental care!
- Read in the Bathtub Day
- National Bagels and Lox Day – start off the day with a delicious breakfast!
Also On This Day:
- The U.S. Weather Bureau was established (1870)
- The game of volleyball was created by William G. Morgan (1895)
- The Davis Cup was established (1900)
- 73 million peopled tuned in to watch the Beatles perform on the Ed Sullivan Show (1964)
- The 1st U.S. combat troops were sent to South Vietnam (1965)
- NY Yankees star Alex Rodriguez admitted to allegations that he used banned substances from ’01-’03 (2009)
- Mia Farrow (66)
- Joe Pesci (68)
- Thomas Pain (1737-1809) – author of Common Sense
- RIP Captain Phil Harris (1956-2010) – Cornelia Marie