Sure there are other holidays we could have highlighted today but we strive to be unique. How many people do you know that are celebrating Quirky Alone Day? How many people know what International Quirky Alone Day is? Contrary to what you think, the holiday is not an anti-Valentine’s Day celebration. International Quirky Alone is a celebration for people who enjoy being single and don’t need to be in a relationship (we all know those people). Encourage your single friends to embrace their single life today and help them celebrate their independence.
- National Condom Day – 19 million new STD cases are reported each year in the U.S. alone. This may be a holiday you want to recognize!
- Library Lover’s Day – While you’re feeling the love, show some love for your local library!
- National Call In Single Day – looking for love? Call-in “single” today and devote a day to finding the love of your life. Perhaps doing something different will help!
- National Heart to Heart Day – Sit down and let it all out. You’ll feel better after a good heart to heart!
- The United States flag was formally recognized for the 1st time by a foreign country when a French naval vessel recognized the symbol and honored the occasion with a 9-gun salute (1778)
- Alexander Graham Bell applied for a patent on the telephone (1876)
- Voting machines were approved by Congress for use in federal elections (1899)
- The Department of Commerce and Labor was established. It would later be split into separate departments (1903)
- The League of Womens Voters was founded (1920)
- International Business Machines (IBM) was founded (1924)
- The Saint Valentine’s Day Massacre took place in Chicago, IL (1929)
- The 1st of 24 GPS satellites was placed into orbit (1989)
Drew Bledsoe (39)
Rob Thomas, Matchbox 20 (39)
Carl Bernstein (67) – Washington Post writer that broke the Watergate story
Michael Bloomberg (69)
Florence Henderson (77) – a.k.a. “Carol Brady” on The Brady Bunch
Frederick Douglass (1818-1895) – a leader of the abolitionist movement
RIP St. Valentine (approx. 270 AD)
RIP James Bond (1900-1989) – American ornithologist