Ok, so it’s a corny holiday (pun totally intended). Tortilla Chips are a delicious snack food that rightfully deserves an entire day dedicated to their awesomeness. Ironically, the celebration coincides with Flag Day in Mexico. It would be much better if we could celebrate National Tortilla Chip Day in collaboration with the Super Bowl or Cinco de Mayo, but we’ll manage just fine! So bust open you favorite bag – whether they’re scoops, originals, hint of lime or some other variation. Conveniently the celebration occurs just 2 days after National Margarita Day. Arriba! Arriba!
- Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day – well that’s going to be an interesting conversation!
- National Personal Chef’s Day – does this mean they don’t have to cook?
Also On This Day:
- The 1st parade to include floats took place at Mardi Gras in New Orleans, LA. (1868)
- Andrew Johnson became the 1st United States President to be impeached (1868)
- The United States acquired Guantanamo Bay (1903)
- The German Workers Party was founded, later renamed the Nazi Party (1920)
- National Public Radio was founded in the U.S. (1970)
- The royal engagement of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer, a.k.a. Princess Diana, was announced (1981)
- Elton John was knighted (1998)
- Fidel Castro retired as President of Cuba (2008)
Birthdays and Remembrances:
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. (34)
- Billy Zane (45) – better known as the “bad guy” from Titanic
- Kristin Davis (46) – does that make her a cougar?
- Steve Jobs (56)
- George Thorogood (61) – “When I walk the streets…Kings and Queens step aside!”
- Phil Knight (73) – co-founder and Chairman of Nike, Inc.
- RIP Malcolm Forbes (1917-1990) – publisher of Forbes Magazine