There are several holidays we could spotlight on March 1st, but we chose to recognize one that should receive considerably more attention. Self-Injury Awareness Day (SIAD) is a campaign to promote awareness of self-harm and self-injury. There are several organizations committed to raising awareness, but March 1st is a day for people to unite for a common cause. Look for orange ribbons, wristbands, or beaded bracelets to recognize the campaign. Because this is a grassroots event, your efforts to spread the word and share this information are encouraged even more! Share, like, tweet, or re-post this information by clicking any of the icons at the bottom of this post. Your support is greatly appreciated!
- Beer Day – not to be confused with Beer Can Appreciation Day, this holiday in Iceland was created to celebrate the end of 75 years of prohibition. Boo prohibition! Hooray beer!
- National Pig Day – our sources say this holiday is celebrated mostly in the Midwest, but we think that’s a little prejudice. Who doesn’t love bacon and eggs?!
- lunch? National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day – can you guess what’s for
- Plan a Solo Vacation Day – “Downtown” Dan just got back from vacation. We’re not letting him get away with this holiday.
- Refired, Not Retired Day – retirement isn’t the end – it’s just the beginning!
- National Horse Protection Day – Protect the ponies!
Also On This Day:
- Rio de Janeiro was founded (1565)
- Georgeana, MA (now York, ME) became the 1st incorporated city in the U.S. (1642)
- The 1st U.S. Census was authorized (1790)
- Yellowstone National Park was established as the world’s 1st national park (1872)
- The 1st public demonstration of the radio (1893)
- Henri Becquerel discovered radioactivity (1896)
- The Hoover Dam was completed (1936)
- W47NV (now WSM-FM) became the 1st FM radio station it the U.S. (1941)
- JFK established the Peace Corps (1961)
- Johnny Cash & June Carter were married (1968)
- Yahoo! was incorporated (1995)
- The United States Supreme Court outlawed the death penalty for juvenile criminals (2005)
- Justin Bieber (17) – so much for getting this song out of our heads! (P.S. it’s about time you cut the hair!)
- Ke$ha (24)
- Ben Sadler (26) – The Printmaster General!
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar (37)
- Booker T (46) – WWE wrestler
- Roger Daltrey, The Who (67)