The 1st Friday in March marks the celebration of Employee Appreciation Day. Secretaries, teachers, even bosses have a day dedicated to them, so why not a day reserved for the lifeblood of many companies! Celebrations may include a free lunch, snack, or munchies. Perhaps even a cake to celebrate the occasion! The real objective is to get companies and executives to think about employee recognition. Everyone loves to feel appreciated for their efforts!
- Courageous Follower Day – Today is as good a day as any to stand up and be a leader!
- Toy Soldier Day – an annual celebration at Disneyland
- National Poundcake Day
- March Forth Do Something Day – Similar to National Old Stuff Day, March Forth celebrations encourage people to take charge of their lives, take on new experiences, and do something new
- International Scrapbooking Industry Day
- National Grammar Day – whats did you said?
- Old Inauguration Day – pretty self-explanatory
- World Day of Prayer – we were thinking of praying for “world peace”, but is that too Miss America-like?
- Benjamin Harrison Day – He was the 23rd U.S. President and remains the only president elected from the state of Indiana
Also On This Day:
- The Massachusetts Bay Colony was granted a royal charter (1628)
- The 1st Congress of the United States met in New York City and put the United States Constitution into effect (1789)
- John Adams was sworn in as President of the United States, marking the first peaceful transfer of power between elected leaders (1797)
- Illinois granted a city charter to Chicago (1837)
- The American Automobile Association (AAA) was founded (1902)
- Jeannette Rankin became the 1st female member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1917)
- Calvin Coolidge became the 1st president to broadcast his inauguration over the radio (1925)
- Francis Perkins became the 1st female member of the United States Cabinet (1933)
- The S&P 500 index was introduced (1957)
- Time, Inc., and Warner Communications, Inc., announced merger plans (1989)
- The United States Supreme Court ruled that on-the-job sexual harassment laws apply to same-sex instances (1998)
- Whitney Port, The Hills & The City (26)
- Emilio Estefan, Miami Sound Machine (58) – See below
- RIP John Candy (1950-1994)