The next time you’re throwing them back or crushing them on your head, take a moment to appreciate your can of beer. Today marks the 76th anniversary of being able to get a brewski in a can. There are several benefits to serving beer in a can, most notably that cans are widely considered the easiest and most frequently recycled beverage package in the world. Do yourself a favor today and visit your local liquor store, grocery, or “packie” and celebrate Beer Can Appreciation Day – “this can is for you!”
Today’s Other Holidays:
- National Peanut Butter Day – we know one person that is celebrating: Peanut Butter Guy!
- Belly Laugh Day – Self-explanatory. You owe yourself a good laugh!
- National Compliment Day – Give someone a compliment. Not only will you make them feel better, but you’ll feel good as well!
- Talk Like a Grizzled Prospector Day – a holiday that celebrates the discovery of gold in California (1848)
- National Eskimo Pie Patent Day – the eskimo pie was invented in 1921 for people who did not want to choose between ice cream or candy. The problem was solved by coating a bar of ice cream in chocolate – brilliant!
Also On This Day:
- The first Apple Macintosh went on sale (1984)
- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security became operational (2003)
- The first Boy Scout troop was organized in England (1908)
- Opening statements were made in the O.J. Simpson trial (1995)
Births & Deaths:
Mischa Barton (25)
John Belushi (1949-1982)
Neil Diamond (70) – Sweet Caroline…bah bah bah!
Aaron Neville (70) – I don’t know much, but I know I love you!
RIP Winston Churchill (1895-1865)
RIP William G. Wilson (1895-1971) aka “Bill W.” – Co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous
RIP L. Ron Hubbard (1946-1989) – Founder of Scientology
Ted Bundy (1946-1989) – On this day, Bundy was executed by electric chair