On this day, 1941, the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked U.S. Army and Marine air forces at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Those attacks led to a declaration of war against Japan by the United States.
Pearl Harbor aftermath
Pearl Harbor Interesting Facts:
- There were over 2403 casualties, and 1282 people were wounded.
- The last part of the decoded Japanese message stated that U.S. relations were to be severed.
- 18 U.S ships were hit.
- The Base’s fuel tanks were targeted by not hit.
- Over 180 aircraft were destroyed.
- The attack occurred on a Sunday morning while many people were still sleeping.
- 6 Japanese planes failed to launch.
Also On This Day:
- Jesse James committed his first confirmed bank robbery. It occurred in the Gallatin, Missouri.
- Instant reply is used for the first time during the Army-Navy game.
- The first execution by lethal injection in the United States took place in Texas.
- Happy Birthday: Terrell Owens – “Git your popcorn ready!”
- National Cotton Candy Day
On this day, 1768, the first edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica was published.
Encyclopedia Britannica (1768-present)
Britannica Fun Facts:
- Oldest English-language encyclopedia still in print
- Over 100 full-time editors
- Contains approximately 40 million words and 500,000 topics
- It is a privately owned by Swiss billionaire, Jacqui Safra.
- The company was once owned by Sears Roebuck
- Albert Einstein and Marie Curie both wrote for Britannica
Happy 62nd Birthday Ozzy Osbourne! How the heck are you still alive? We tried to reach Ozzy for a comment but couldn’t understand a word he said!
Freak of Nature
If there is one person in the World that you could be for a day, Ozzy would have to be high on that list. Needless to say, here are some interesting facts you probably didn’t know about that crazy bastard:
- He has never watched “The Osbournes”
- The name “Ozzy” was his nickname in high school
- Ozzy never finished high school due to his family’s lack of finances. They were so poor that they could not afford running water during his childhood.
- He was charged with defacing a national monument after he urinated on The Alamo
- His wife, Sharon, is the daughter of Black Sabbath manager Don Arden
- He admittedly suffers from stage fright
- Ozzy often uses the name “Harry Bollocks” for his hotel reservations
Happy Birthday Ozzy! Dare we say: “Take it easy.”
December 1st is World Aids Day and kicks off World Aids Month.
Facts about AIDS:
- AIDS has killed an estimated 25 million people world wide and currently over 30 million people live with HIV/AIDS
- Over a quarter of the people in the UK infected with HIV don’t know they’re infected
- Last year, 1 in 10 people diagnosed were aged 16 to 24
- Africa has over 14 million AIDS orphans
- 85% of AIDS cases reported in the US were reported in major metropolitan areas
- New York accounts for nearly a fifth of all cases
“I couldn’t care less if the guy I’m guarding has HIV. I’m going to slam him anyway.” ~ Dennis Rodman
Traditionally the day after Thanksgiving, “You’re Welcome Day” or “You’re Welcome-giving Day” was created to establish more manners in today’s society.
National "You're Welcome" Day
So go out and tell someone “You’re Welcome” and celebrate the holiday!