On this day, 1980, John Lennon was assassinated outside his home, The Dakota, in NYC. At approximately 10:50pm, Mark David Chapman fired 5 hollow-point bullets at Lennon’s back.
John Lennon Assassination Facts:
- Lennon was shot outside his home at approximately 10:50pm. He chose not to dine-out so he could be home to say “goodnight” to his son.
- The first of 5 gunshots missed Lennon completely.
- Immediately following the shooting, a doorman at the Dakota asked Chapman “Do you know what you’ve done?” Chapman responded, “Yes, I just shot John Lennon.”
- Lennon was pronounced dead on arrival at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center
- He was cremated on December 10 at Ferncliff Cemetary in Harsdale, NY.
- No funeral was held.
- Yoko Ono kept Lennon’s ashes