In 1964, the U.S. Surgeon General Luther Terry issued the first government report saying that smoking is hazardous to your health. Since that time, organizations such as Anti-smoking.org, Smokefree America, and The Truth have continued to issue warnings about the hazards of smoking. It is estimated that smoking-related diseases cause more than 440,000 American deaths annually, and costs the United States over $150 billion each year in health care costs.
- Secret Pal Day
- Milk Day – Milk is first delivered in bottles (1878)
- National Step in a Puddle & Splash Your Friend Day – No puddles here, just snow!
- First recorded lottery took place in England (1569)
- The Lawrence Textile Strike began in Lawrence, MA (1912)
- Amelia Earheart made the 1st solo flight from Hawaii to California (1935)
- Insulin was first used to treat diabetes in a human patient (1922)
- Designated hitter rule was adopted in MLB’s American League (1973)
- Apple, Inc. drops its 10% restocking fee (2011)